Dec 29, 2017
1) First of all, Captur & Kaptur are two completely different cars! The one we get is the former that's based on the old Duster based platform, B0. The latter, based on the latest gen Clio (Renault-Nissan B platform), is an award winning European car.2) Decent standard safety across all the trims. Dual front airbags, ABS (Anti-locking Braking System) with EBD (Electronic Brake-force Distribution) and BA (Brake Assist), ISOFIX child seat anchors are standard while the top-end diesel variant additionally gets ESP (Electronic Stability Program), side airbags (so 6 airbags in all) and HHC (Hill Hold Control).
3) The engine and gearbox are the same as its older brother, Duster. The diesel engine is a 1461cc, 4-cylinder unit that churns out 108 HP @ 3850 RPM with a torque of 240 Nm @ 1750 RPM. It's mated a 6-speed manual gearbox. On the other hand, the petrol engine is a 1498cc, 4-cylinder unit that generates 104 HP @ 5600 RPM with a torque of 142 Nm @ 4000 RPM. It's mated to a 5-speed manual gearbox. The official mileage figures are 20.37 KMPL and 13.87 KMPL for the diesel and petrol variants respectively.
4) Sadly, there's no top-end petrol variant. So it misses out on additional safety kit and some luxury features like leather seats, automatic climate control, dynamic/sweeping front turn indicators and some other non consequential features.
5) Another massive miss is the option of automatic gearbox. Might come later this year. Furthermore, AWD (All Wheel Drive) is also given a miss. Had it been equipped with, it'd have got an edge over Creta. This too might come sometime later.
6) It looks slightly bugger than Duster but its boot space of 392 litres is 83 litres than its older brother!
7) Telescopic steering wheel adjustment and rear discs are given a miss. Shockingly, even Creta and Duster don't get it.
8) The customization options are quite impressive. The roof and side mirrors are available in 3 different shades albeit in last two variants only.
9) It's loaded with LEDs! LED headlights with DRLs (Daytime Running Lights) are segment first. It even gets LED turn indicators that has sweeping/dynamic effect aka Audi effect. It doesn't end here. Even the fog lights and cabin lights have got this treatment. Strangely, the taillights aren't LED.
10) The standard feature list is impressive.